40-Year-Old Teaching Assistant Accused Of Sex With 10-Year-Old
A 40-year-old teaching assistant in Durham, NC has been accused of sexual assault on a 10-year-old boy from the school she works at.
Gina Marie Watring, a mother of three, has been working at Creekside Elementary School since November 2008, and resigned this week when the allegations that she had sex twice in April, on the 10th and 21st. The student that has been reported to be 10-years-old, but that remains unconfirmed at this time.
The allegations came to light when another student at the shcool found a note between the teacher and student, and turned it over to school officials. When the school contacted the student’s mother, she informed them that she had warned Ms. Watring to stay away from her son. This request was made after she had allowed her son to go placed with Ms. Watring, and they had returned late, or she had to call them to learn where they were.
After the school learned the details, they warned Ms. Watring to have no contact with the student, but she was caught the next day sending him a text in the teacher’s lounge at the school. Upon further investigation, multiple texts were found on the student’s cell phone from the teacher’s aide, and some of the content was described to be of a sexual nature. A warrant was also issued for computers for them to be searched for other possible contact between the two.
Ms. Watring is currently being held in jail on $100,000 bond. Her attorney, a friend of the family who was only representing her for her arraignment, did attempt to get it lowered as he said she did not pose a flight risk, but due to her charges being two felonies, the court opted not to lower it. All of her further appearances in court will be handled by the public defenders office.
This women now joins the roll call of teacher sex scandals for 2009!
- Christine McCallum, Boston, MA
- Lisa Lavoie, Holyoke, MA
- Christy Lynn Martin, St. Petersburg, FL
- Linda Nef and Valynne Bowers, Bountiful, UT
- Sarah L. Tolzien, Richton Park, IL
- Autumn Faulkner, Randolph County, WV
- Lindsay Massaro, Hackettstown, NJ
- Lauren Breslin, Vineland, NJ
- Kristina Anna Baeta, Union City, CA
- Raeanna Jewell, Apache Junction, AZ
- Jennifer Lea Burton, Orangefield, TX
- Tamara Hofmann, Chandler, AZ
- Jennifer Marie Collier, Jacksonville, FL
- Alison M. Peck, Greenfield, MO
- Maria Guman Hernandez, Hialeah, FL
- Helen Goddard, London, England
- Amy Elsworth & Brian Drake, Waterford, MI
- Alini Brito & Cindy Mauro, Brooklyn, NY (no students involved)
- Amanda Watkins, Muscle Shoals, AL