The movie news pouring out of San Diego Comic Con almost makes you forget this used to be a comic book convention. With more movies based on comic books coming out than ever before, it figures that big announcements are made at this show, and they just keep coming.
(click any of the images for full-sized views)
Sadly nothing was released after this panel other than the official movie logo. There was some footage shown, but not to the general public to see, sadly. Apparently it was pretty quick, showed the ring forming a giant fist to hit some criminals and so on.
Two great bits of news:
- The costume we saw is not the final one we’ll see on screen, there is more refining to be done to it, and the black will stand out more.
- A kid in the audience asked Ryan Reynolds to recite Hal Jordan’s oath … everyone reported that no words had been changed. I am now much more at ease with the film.
There were other tidbits, but we’ll see how this film turns out.
Cowboys & Aliens
I have never read the comic this is based on, but the premise is pretty easy to grasp since it’s right in the title … aliens … in the old West.
It stars Daniel Craig as a mysterious stranger who arrives in town with an odd wrist band, and when alien ships arrive to shoot the town up, he shoots one of their ships down with his device. Wackiness ensues from there.
It also stars Olivia Wilde as a saloon girl, Harrison Ford as … someone, he’s rumored to be a bad guy. It’s also directed by Jon Favreau who has directed the two Iron Man movies. He’s definitely shown he is capable of directing action, and it should prove to be an interesting movie.
I love the concept of this. There won’t be any going to the mothership and using a Mac to install a virus malarkey. We’ll have to see how this mysterious wrist weapon works into it, but sign me up as being highly interested.
Yes, more news on The Avengers, but it’s because Marvel had the bright idea to bring the whole cast together on stage and become the talk of the con.
- Robert Downey Jr. – Tony Stark/Iron Man
- Clark Gregg – Agent Coulson of S.H.I.E.L.D.
- Scarlett Johansson – Black Widow
- Chris Hemsworth – Thor
- Chris Evans – Captain America
- Samuel L. Jackson – Nick Fury
- Jeremy Renner – Hawkeye
- Mark Ruffalo – Bruce Banner/Hulk
- Joss Whedon – Co-Writer/Director
- Kevin Feige – Marvel Studios’ President
The only two thins we learned from this was the re-casting of Bruce Banner, and we didn’t know for sure the Black Widow would be in the movie. Even not in costumes, this line-up looks amazing … I can not wait for May 4, 2012. The only thing missing is someone really should have yelled, “AVENGERS ASSEMBLE!”
Side note from the Marvel panel … The Punisher film rights now belong to Marvel again … can we please finally get a good Punisher movie now?